Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, November 12, 2012

Rosia's Marshmallow Whip

Every year at Christmas and Thanksgiving as long as I can remember we have had this dish.  Some call it a dessert, some call it a salad, some call it a side dish.  I just call it fabulous.  My grandmother Rosia began making it and my mom continued throughout my childhood.  I kept the tradition going with my family.  This will be the first year I won't be home with the traditional turkey and all the trimmings. but you can bet your drumsticks I will be fixing this in the Colorado mountains!!  Tradition is Tradition you know!!  Be sure to cook the marshmallow mixture in a non-stick pot and stir continuously so it doesn't burn.  Let cool completely before folding in the heavy cream.  You need to make this the night before!  Hope you all all enjoy this is much as we have the past 55 years!!

1 box of vanilla wafers
1 bag of marshmallows (aprox 40)
1 cup of whole milk
1/2 pt whipping cream
1 small can crushed pineapple (drained well)
butter for greasing dish

Roll out wafers to crumb stage.  (these days I use the food processor)  Butter the bottom of your serving dish.  I usually use a 9x9 or 8x8 square dish. Over med heat cook the marshmallows and the milk until all the marshmallows are melted in the milk Set aside and let cool.  Pour your heavy whipping cream into mixing bowl and beat until cream forms peaks.  When milk/marshmallow mixture is cool, fold in the pineapple, next gently fold in the whipped cream until it is incorporated into the mixture.

 Sprinkle 1/3 of crumbs on bottom of the dish.  Next slowly pour 1/2 of the mixture over crumbs.  Add another 1/3 of the crumbs by sprinkling on top.  Next add the remaining half of the milk/marshmallow mixture
over the crumbs.  Lastly top with the remaining 1/3 of the crumbs.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.  ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment