Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, October 8, 2012

Vodka Pie Dough







I have never been able to make a pie dough that didn't fall apart before I could get it into the pan; taste like shoe leather, or simply sink into the pie pan or slink off the sides and burn on the bottom of my oven.  I saw this recipe the other day on Pinterest.  I guess it was the vodka that intrigued me and I thought "what the heck"  I am telling you this was the best pie crust ever!!  I substituted lard for the shortening, and WOW was it fantastic.  This recipe was from Cooks Illustrated.  It is a keeper.  Now I have no excuse for not making pie!!  Oh by the way don't be afraid to use the lard, whats' a few more fat grams!! It does make the pie crust so very flaky!


Foolproof Pie Dough (With Vodka!?)
Prep Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 55 mins
Serves: 8-10, Yield: 1.0 pie

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour ( 12 1/2 ounces)
1 teaspoon table salt
2 tablespoons sugar
12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch slices ( 1 1/2 sticks)
1/2 cup chilled vegetable shortening, cut into 4 pieces  ( I used Lard)
1/4 cup vodka, cold
1/4 cup cold water

Directions
Process 1 1/2 cups flour, salt, and sugar in food processor until combined, about 2 one-second pulses. Add butter and shortening and process until homogenous dough just starts to collect in uneven clumps, about 15 seconds (dough will resemble cottage cheese curds and there should be no uncoated flour). Scrape bowl with rubber spatula and redistribute dough evenly around processor blade. Add remaining cup flour and pulse until mixture is evenly distributed around bowl and mass of dough has been broken up, 4 to 6 quick pulses. Empty mixture into medium bowl.
Sprinkle vodka and water over mixture. With rubber spatula, use folding motion to mix, pressing down on dough until dough is slightly tacky and sticks together. Divide dough into two even balls and flatten each into 4-inch disk. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 45 minutes or up to 2 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment